[TenTec]Rig tests

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec]Rig tests
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 16:25:49 2003
I have seen so many "highly peculiar" test results over the half century plus
I have been involved with electronics I really don't trust "objective" tests.
By the time the test sees print at least some and often all objectivity has
gone by the wayside.

       I much prefer to personally take the equipment in question and compare
it with some standard. You got a hot car? Lets take it to the strip and see
what it will do, side by side with mine. Your car has a superior ride? Lets run
down the River Road and see how it handles over the potholes and washboards.

Your latest boob toob will record DVD's and play them back in VHS - and it's
got triple wishbone filters to boot!  Let's compare the picture on it to my 20
year old Zenith.

You got a super tranciever? Bring it over and put it in place of my second
rig so it's a switch flip away from the antenna and we will compare it to the
best rig I have been able to find up to now and we will see how it does. Can we
copy a weak station during the inevitable afternoon thunderstorm? Can pull out
a weak one from under or between strong stations?  How are the filters? Are
the skirts sharp and clean?  How is the audio, clean and clear or muddy and
distorted?

While the results are somewhat skewed by local conditions,  those conditions
are the ones that any rig in this neighborhood is going to have to perform
under.  Weak signals, less than optimum antennas, noisy neighborhood, crowded
bands, and added interference from the neighbors sewing machine and mixer and
all.

The comparison continues until all parties are satisfied and agree on
results. And you know, it usually doesn't take long to decide which rig
performs the
best. That's why I have an open shack policy. If you have the latest
"SuperBlaster 9900" and you want to compare it bring it on!

73  Pete Allen  AC5e