[TenTec] Ten-Tec Orion - Initial Impressions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Orion - Initial Impressions
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed May 21 07:59:44 2003
Hi Earl!

         Thanks for the very comprehensive report.  The best I've
seen from anyone yet and from someone whose opinion I respect greatly!

K6SE wrote:
 >With the FT-1000MP, this is a one-button operation,
where all you have to do is press the SPLIT button and
it enables VFO-B as the tx VFO and puts it up 5 kHz
from VFO-A (offset is adjustable in the MP's menu).

I've been an MP user since 1997 and have never done it that way.
I just hit A>B, Split (or more likely Dual) and then tuned the
Sub-VFO/TX to wherever the guy was listening.  I never used the
preset offset because almost every pileup is different.  On 160,
they are just as likely to listen down as up, and splits vary
greatly between CW and SSB.  Is there not a simple way to assign TX
to the Sub-VFO in Orion?  I would normally want to use the Main RX
in Orion for the DX station (because of its better characteristics)
and the Sub/TX to tune the pileup itself.  I must be missing
something in what you are saying.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV