[TenTec] CW Key Clicks and Filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW Key Clicks and Filters
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:16:33 EST
Well, practically speaking, even a "pure carrier" takes up at least some
spectrum. We used to say, by rule of thumb, that CW occupies 2 times the
keying speed. 40 cycles, Hz, for 20 WPM, etc..

Most of what I hear is classified as  "phase noise,"  artifacts generated in
the PLL or PLLs. Whether it's phase noise, shot noise, partition noise, or
whatever is not really important. I have run down several stations and
identified the rigs broadcasting this junk over a wide chunk of the bands,
and there a bunch I have not identified.  ALL the rigs I have identified are
popular high dollar rigs whose high phase noise levels has been discussed at
length among multi multi ops. So the deficency is well known.

Everything considered,  the racket it is bound to contribute to the overall
background noise during busy times on the bands. Like  during the CQWW.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E