[TenTec] Brown Bros and Ten-Tec paddles

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Brown Bros and Ten-Tec paddles
From: chrisg@marathonkey.com (Chris Grey)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:22:53 -0400
origonal messag
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:08:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Larry Gibbs <amishbuggy37@yahoo.com>
To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Keyer paddle opinion needed (NO TEN-TEC)

I have a Brown Bros. keyer paddle and a Bencher
straight key. The Brown Bros. won't stay put.

Brown Brothers made model UTL without a base for the do-it-yourselfer to be
included in a keyer.  Palomar used it in some ""IC Keyer" models introduced
1969.  If it has the red stick on label "Brown Bros" on the frame and is
clean, that paddle is not easy to find, and a collector might really want
it.  I collect paddles, and for me the the UTL was the hardest Brown Bros
paddle to find.  Good article on Brown Bros in The Vail Correspondent by T
French W1IMQ January 1993.  I have a fairly good collection of Ten Tec
paddles, including their first model, I think 1969, with white finger
peices.  That is really hard to find, so if any of you have one with white
finger pieces, don't let it slip thru your fingers.  White finger paddles
were on models KR40, KR20 and KR1.  I got a nice note from Jack K4JU dated
11-16-95 including a copy of Ten-Tec's first? paddle ad dated July 1970, hr
magazine.  Apparently the white ones broke, so they went to black. Ten Tec
was founded in 1968, so paddles were some of their first products. I think
there is a greater variety of paddles than bugs, maybe because there were
fewer patents.
Chuck Grey ND7K - nd7k@amsat.org