[TenTec] Contact Lubricants and Cleaners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Contact Lubricants and Cleaners
From: w1idz@netscape.net (Lee Berman)
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 11:18:10 -0500
Fellow Amateurs,

I've been reading with interest all the folk remedies recently posted for noisy
or intermittent contacts in Amateur Radio and other communications equipment.
If you'll indulge me for a few minutes, I'll attempt to prevent some serious
mistakes in this area.

Simply stated:  Never never use any product containing silicone on any
electromechanical interface - switches, relays, wipers, rollers, etc.

 Silicone in any concentration is a definite no-no!

The immediate improvements noted through use of cheap "contact lubricants",
WD-40 and the like will disappear quickly and the problem will return worse
than before.

Read labels on contact cleaners and lubricants carefully and/or contact the
manufacturer directly to assure no silicone.

There are products out there that use polyphenyl ethers with or without
microcrystalline waxes specifically formulated for signal contacts to use on
your noisy contacts, which will not promote the accumulation of abrasive and
insulating films on the contacting surfaces.

They are available in brush-on liquids, sprays, and individually packaged
wipes.  I don't endorse any particular manufacturer of these products, but know
that NYE Corp. and Miller-Stephenson are a couple of sources for safe contact
cleaners and lubricants.

These preparations are good for pin-and-socket connectors, Crystal Sockets,
Headphone and Microphone plugs, Cable connectors - you name it.

I have been working in the field of contact physics for switch, and connector,
data communications, and computer peripheral manufacturers for nearly thirty
years and am sure of my knowledge in the contact interface arena.

I hope this helps those on this reflector.

'73,
Lee Berman W1IDZ
--
"Live Long and Prosper" -Spock-
"Live Long, Prosper, and Die Broke" -Berman-

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/