[TenTec] Laptops and Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Laptops and Pegasus
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (al_lorona@agilent.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:06:46 -0600

Hi, John,

Are you running on battery power, and, if so, is there any chance that the
power management software of the laptop is really the cause of all this?
Most laptops, to conserve their battery power, will de-spin the hard disk
after a pre-determined amount of time. When disk access is then needed by a
process, the disk must spin up again and this is often the cause of a wait.
The way around it is to disable the power management software, let the hard
disk go continuously, and run the laptop off of AC.

R,

Al  W6LX