[TenTec] OT: Sound Recording artifact with Gold line mike

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Sound Recording artifact with Gold line mike
From: malonej@c2i2.com (Jack Malone)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:45:07 -0700
I was reading some of the comments on using a Heil Goldline. The Heil is a
dynamic mic does not require any voltage.
On my Jupiter I use a Radio Shack Pro-301 (just as good as a Heil and a lot
less) and cut to length the mic cable and put a 4 pin mic. connector on the
end instead of the phone plug. Use only the pins for mic. & gnd/shield,
leave PTT and 9V open. Then get a din plug for the ACC1 socket on rear and
connect a shielded Phone Plug to tinned ends to the PTT and Gnd. Use a small
Radio Shack box and put a RCA phone jack in and connect to two push buttons,
one PUSH ON/PUSH OFF the other MOMENTARY. This gives you PTT or LOCK ON for
transmit and if you want to use VOX just use the mic.
In my case I did not have enough drive from the dynamic mic and had to go
into the Jupiter and set R72 on the logic board for max. gain full CCW. I
run my mic gain on the front panel at 100%. The logic board is the one
facing up on the bottom. Take bottom cover off, with front panel facing you
R72 is close to the front and just a little right of center of board. It is
a small blue trimmer marked MIC GAIN. If you then use the TT701 hand mic.
you will have to set mic gain on front panel down to something like 5 to
20%. This probably applies to any amp driven mic.
This set up is much handier that trying to use the TT705 mic with that small
recessed sw on the bottom to switch between VOX and PTT. Hope this helps. I
get good sig. reports on my audio.
73's
Jack, W7EJJ