[TenTec] Omni 6 info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6 info
From: n1eu@hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:39:22 -0500
Jerry, congrats on the new rig!  The Omni 6 is ready to go for contesting,
right out of the box.  Just make sure you set the serial port's baud rate in
the menu setup and your software matches it.  I personally use WriteLog and
recommend it highly.  It was the first major contesting software to support
the Omni 5/6.  For the Omni 6, there are perhaps two things in Writelog you
need to be aware of.

Due in part to vigorous campaigning on my part two years ago, the author
added a setting under Setup-Ports, where you should select "Sync" under
"CommPTT".  In the early days, there were serious problems when Writelog
would try and read the rig's mode at the same time it was trying to send a
xmsn.  "Sync" instructs Writelog to behave itself.

The other issue is that when you set the rig's frequency from software
(e.g., clicking on a packet spot), the Omni filter selection will go to
"N-1", even if you had "N-2" selected before changing frequency.  I could
never get them to fix this.  So bear this in mind when fitting the filters
to the slots.

Yes, the Omni 6 runs hot when contesting intensively.  Use a muffin fan to
blow air across the back heatsink.  Expecially important if you "run" a lot.

Never used the internal keyer, so can't help you there.

GL/73,
Barry  N1EU