[TenTec] [DXR] callsigns

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [DXR] callsigns
From: aa4nn@juno.com (Joe L Blackwell)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 19:30:18 -0500
Hi Alan, de Joe  -  AA4NN

Sorry, OM, guess you just miss the point.  Maybe you forget the spirit of
these special call signs.  Maybe Canada just issued too many of them and
after a while they just became moot.    But, what could be wrong with a
special call sign for the year 2000.  What a wonderful thing to have a
special call sign for the new year.  Maybe if you had the foresight to
get a special call for this event you wouldn't be whining.  Anyway,
WY2OOO is a vanity call sign, nothing special, (except for the New Year).
 No FCC involvement,  it's called planning ahead.  Don't you see.  It's
all in fun (FUN ...  get it !!!  can you say  FUN, Alan?)

While the members of the Carolina DX Assn plan on working all bands, all
modes, throughout the month of January 2000 with WY2OOO, I am sure it
will begin to drag toward the end.  That is only natural, but, at least,
we have presented a chance for stations around the world to work this
special call sign and get a beautiful QSL card depicting the horizon for
the year 2000.  Sorry you won't be a part of it, as you are not a
subscriber to special call signs.  Let's see, VE1AL, let me just write
that down, sorry, if you answer my WY2OOO CQ on 40m or 160m CW I'll just
pretend you aren't  there.  Well, anyway, you probably just work SSB so
that will be no problem for me.  Cheers!

73, de Joe  -  AA4NN,   CW Op for WY2OOO on 40m and 160m
PS.  You got it wrong, Alan, its WY2 not W2Y.  QSL via K4MQG.  Or the
Buro.  TUVM.

Alan Leith  writes:
>I ask you, what is so special about W2Y or M2000 or many of those
"special" Y2K >prefixes?  After all, they are simply W2 or M2  and count
for W2 or M2.

> I find, as one who used "special" prefixes every time they became
available
> in Canada, that the novelty has worn thin...and often I will simply sit
and
> listen to the guys on SSB and CW asking the guy with the prefix  where
he is
> as he digs though his curiosity-generated pile-up.  As soon as they
find out
> he's an Italian or a Pole, or a Brazilian or whatever, the pile-up
dies.