[TenTec] Battery operation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Battery operation
From: kj5tf@madisoncounty.net (Jim Hale)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:55:48 -0500
We live off the power grid and I like to brag that I was QRP before I was a
ham!  hi hi

One tricky way to get around a radio that needs 12.0v or BETTER is to add
another 2v cell. I understand that most lead acid batteries you see dont
have seperate 2v  cells. There all self contained.

But look around and you might find some "Gates" rechargeable cells. Or even
better, get some surplus or "retired" telephone central office batteries.

If you have a contact at the local phone company maybe they can tell you
when they are changing out standby batteries. I've carted home entire 48v
2000 amp hour battery banks at scrap rates. Hopefully you can find a set in
which a single cell isn't too large for one person to move.  hi hi  Oh my
back!!!

Or you can setup a QRP rig and a set of nicads with one or two extra cells
for that extra voltage.

You must be careful if you do this. Most charging systems cant handle an
extra cell. While charging, battery voltage can climb to 16v+ and some parts
might go up in smoke above that. Dont operate while charging if your system
is unregulated.
Even after the charging system is off, the battery might be above 15v. So
what I do is discharge the battery by the "touch and jump" method   ;-)   or
a 12v bulb for afew seconds. Thats all it takes.

I found that if I ran 25 watts, a small marine battery would fade below 12v
after a short while. So the extra cell method saved the day.

For charging a btry with an extra cell a solar panel is best. There charging
voltage is unusually plenty to deal with one extra cell.

Remember, you must use great caution if you add an extra cell. The extra
volt or two can save you, or ruin your day... Use labels and double check.
Have fun - Jim   KJ5TF