[TenTec] Hercules II and batteries.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II and batteries.
From: knoxm@scioto.net (Michael A. Knox)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:07:43 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01BEDAE8.B5EC9080

I have been using 4 deep cycle batteries and an automatic battery =
charger for 5 years here in my shack.  The batteries are the deep cycle =
variety and the battery charger is connected at all times and maintains =
a continuous charge.  I power all of the HF equipment, 2 and 440 and all =
of the accessories to the equipment with these batteries.

I fused both the POSITIVE and the NEGATIVE cables at 100 amps, the =

cables are made of high quality welding cable.  These then connect to 2 =
very large feed through capacitors that are mounted on an aluminum panel =
that has all of the DC supply voltage and the Poly-phasers for the =
antennas and the rotor cables.  All of this is then distributed to the =
various equipment in the shack, directly behind the operating desk.  I =
use 2 MFJ DC power distribution strips to take the DC to the rigs and =
directly to the Hercules II amplifier.

Station ground is located directly under the floor of the shack, this =
kept the ground cable length to less than 5 feet.  All of the grounds =
are cad-welded to the ground rods.

I am a little on the cheap side, that is why I opted to use the deep =
cycle batteries.  The only serious contesting I have done is the IARU =
contest held annually in July.  I have operated this contest from start =
to finish with this arrangement and have never experienced a problem.

I was also lucky enough to build the shack as an addition and could lay =
out all of the cabling and grounds during contruction.  Hides a lot of =
things, and keeps grounds and such very short. As a matter of fact, I =
don't think there is a connecting cable from this arrangement that is =
over 5 feet long.

One last thing, the batteries are housed in a "doghouse" that is located =
directly OUTSIDE the shack wall behind the equipment. =20

Mike - KC8WR

PS - Soon to come 7 -  2 volt batteries. Each battery is 2x2x3 Feet, =
they weight 350 lbs each.....they will be under a porch on the garden =
house.  The battery charger requires 220 volts AC and is the same size =
as a single battery.  Thanks to the telephone company.

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01BEDAE8.B5EC9080

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I have been using 4 deep cycle =
batteries and an=20
automatic battery charger for 5 years here in my shack.&nbsp; The =
batteries are=20
the deep cycle variety and the battery charger is connected at all times =
and=20
maintains a continuous charge.&nbsp; I power all of the HF equipment, 2 =
and 440=20
and all of the accessories to the equipment with these =
batteries.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I fused both the POSITIVE and the =
NEGATIVE=20
cables at 100 amps, the cables are made of high quality welding =
cable.&nbsp;=20
These then connect to 2 very large feed through capacitors that are =
mounted on=20
an aluminum panel that has all of the DC supply voltage and the =
Poly-phasers for=20
the antennas and the rotor cables.&nbsp; All of this is then distributed =
to the=20
various equipment in the shack, directly behind the operating =
desk.&nbsp; I use=20
2 MFJ DC power distribution strips to take the DC to the rigs and =
directly to=20
the Hercules II amplifier.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Station ground is located directly =
under the=20
floor of the shack, this kept the ground cable length to less than 5 =
feet.&nbsp;=20
All of the grounds are cad-welded to the ground rods.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I am a little on the cheap side, =
that is why I=20
opted to use the deep cycle batteries.&nbsp; The only serious contesting =
I have=20
done is the IARU contest held annually in July.&nbsp; I have operated =
this=20
contest from start to finish with this arrangement and have never =
experienced a=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I was also lucky enough to build the =
shack as an=20
addition and could lay out all of the cabling and grounds during=20
contruction.&nbsp; Hides a lot of things, and keeps grounds and such =
very short.=20
As a matter of fact, I don't think there is a connecting cable from this =

arrangement that is over 5 feet long.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>One last thing, the batteries are =
housed in a=20
&quot;doghouse&quot; that is located directly OUTSIDE the shack wall =
behind the=20
equipment.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Mike - KC8WR</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>PS - Soon to come 7 -&nbsp; 2 volt =
batteries.=20
Each battery is 2x2x3 Feet, they weight 350 lbs each.....they will be =
under a=20
porch on the garden house.&nbsp; The battery charger requires 220 volts =
AC and=20
is the same size as a single battery.&nbsp; Thanks to the telephone=20
company.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01BEDAE8.B5EC9080--