[TenTec] GADZOOKS! PICKY, PICKY, PICKY!!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] GADZOOKS! PICKY, PICKY, PICKY!!!!
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:36:36 EDT
n2ka@juno.com writes:

<<Holy Mackell--can't  believe what I've been reading on the reflector
about the OMNI VIs.
Don't youze guyze (or y'all) have lives? Maybe when we pass through those
Pearly Gates there will be a perfect radio 'awaitin' us without any hiss,
clicks, beeps, blips, etc.>>

<< Guys, stop bitching. Get on the air and work some DX. Remember the OMNI
 VI is a real comfortable, easy to use, high performance radio and
 considering everything, including the Ten-Tec Company with its excellent
 accessibility and support, a great bargain!! >>

Listen you TenTec fanatics:
First you had posts on this reflector: "Why don't more contesters use this
magnificent radio?"
So one serious contester broke down and bought this wonderadio: He and others
who understand a bit about radio equipment design, raised some concerns,
shortcomings. (We find that almost with ALL radios, rice boxes or not.) We
are trying to improve them by identifying the problem, trying to find the
solution or fix and make it known to others, who would like to do the same
thing. That goes back to FT101, Drake line, etc. For that we get nailed for
"bitching"? Most of my radios I buy used (good value) and modify them and
bring them higher level (make them better). That's how you end up with radio
worth $8000 on the market, while spending $2000 and some ingenuity and work.
Hey, go on, "Emperor" has nice clothes! Drink Coca-Cola, eat low fat - low
cholesterol, use low noise radio because advertising says so!

OK Ten Tec:
You are reading the posts. What is the answer, or remedy to this IF hiss? Is
this problem only on some radios? What is the fix? Use DSP?

I guess I will quit another reflector, don't need to spend time arguing with
fanatics. Maybe I will go on and keep modifying Omni VI (lotsa room inside)
maybe not. I offered my services (contester - "race car driver", engineer) to
ham radio manufacturers, to assists in design and testing, but so far no
takers. They knowitall, they don't need us (just buy the crapy radio and shut
up!) So I guess we will continue doing our thing. I will be glad to hear from
others about any improvements they come up with.
You happy fanatics, keep singing praises and feel good!

GL  Yuri, K3BU