[TenTec] 962 Power Supply Speaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 962 Power Supply Speaker
From: jdvoracek@vvm.com (John Dvoracek)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:26:44 -0500
Recently I acquired a Model 962 along with a used Omni vi+.  The speaker
fidelity was awful, and I disassembled the case to determine the difficulty
of replacing the speaker.  I left the Omni on while reassembling the case
(be careful with the power switch!), and I couldn't imagine why the speaker
now sounded so much better.  With the last few turns of the front panel
bottom screws (either one), the speaker began to distort.  Unscrewing a few
turns removed the distortion.  Hummm...  I removed the front panel and
carefully added a thick washer to each screw for slight additional spacing.
The side trim is still captured but now by the washer instead of the front
subpanel itself, but that is fine.  Cinching tight the bottom screws now did
not cause the speaker to tolerate.  Guess the tolerances were a few
thousands off on this one.
73,
de ke5c,
op John