[TenTec] TenTec Omni 5 question (s)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec Omni 5 question (s)
From: p.brice-stevens@zeiss.co.uk (p.brice-stevens@zeiss.co.uk)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:15:09 +0000
I have a cuople of questions that the group may be able to shed some light
on....

1

 I have had my OMNI 5 for about three years now and the fast QSK doesn't seem
as fast as it once was. I have a feeling that when I first got it it used to
switch from transmit to receive faster than it does now. I was wondering if
this means that whatever relay it is that controls the switchover is getting a
bit long in the tooth?

2

Now this is a difficult one to describe but after turning the rig on and (for
the first time) keying up the sidetone appears to be accompanied by a (here
struggling to find a suitable term) krrcghh noise!...only on the first dit or
dah...any subsquent dits or dahs are fine... this feature! does not re-occur
for a while when keying fairly consistently (as in a contest) but when the
radio is left in receive for a few minutes on the next key up the noise happens
again. It is very difficult to describe, but it is not very loud and 'almost'
sound like a little crunch accompany the first dit ! no-one has mentioned this
to me on air but as 99% of my time is spent on air during contests the
opportunity rarely arise to have a chat about such things ;)

So whaddya' say?
73

Paul
G0WAT