[TenTec] "History of Ten Tec" question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "History of Ten Tec" question
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:40:48 -0700 (PDT)
My first ham radio was a Delta II and the only problem
was the backlight for the LCD display.  The Jones
filter, if it had one more pole like the Scout woud
have made it Excellent but is served me very well.  I
sold it to buy a Collins 74A-4 and have missed it ever
since.  It has a highly sensitive receiver and I
solved the backlighting problem for everyone by
finding a product that can be cut with scissors to
replace the Ten Tec backlight film.  The person who
bought mine did the fix and it works great.  At last
years Field Day my Delta II saved the day when a
runaway generator killed five radios on the main
operating table.  I used the magnetic circuit breaker
that TT used to have available and the Delta survived.
 So I wish I still had it and would consider another
any time.  By the way the piece of trivia concerning
the QST review of the Delta II is that the reviewer
quit QST a few weeks later and went to work for
Kenwood.  He had the Kenwood job before the review and
took the opportunity to kill a competing product
before he left the QST staff.  I hope someone makes
him eat rice the rest of his life. So the D II is a
real nice rig and if you pick one up you will enjoy it
a lot.  I worked a lot of people on the novie bands
and listened to a lot of shortwave with it.

--- Jason Reber <jreber@sisna.com> wrote:
> Hello folks-
> As a newcomer to the Ten Tec world, I enjoy the odds
> and ends I can pick up on about the company and it's
> product history on this reflector. There seems to be
> a lot of users of this reflector that have owned
> and/or collect a great variety of Ten Tec gear. I
> was browsing the "unofficial Ten Tec site" at
> http://asd.state.va.us/tentec/ and came across the
> model 536 Delta II transceiver, which brings me to
> my question: Why did Ten Tec move away from the LCD
> type freq. display, when did the Delta II come out,
> and was it a "successful" product?  I am curious
> about this because I have yet (that I can recall) to
> work anyone using a Delta II, and wonder if those
> who bought them were happy with them. I have worked
> most other Ten Tec rigs at one time or another, and
> in every case that it was discussed, the owners were
> very happy with their gear. I'm using an Omni D,
> which I suppose is ancient by modern standards.
> Nonetheless, it has turned me on to Ten Tec, and my
> next major rig purchase will be another Ten Tec.
> Thanks,
> Jason KA7UAM

<HR>
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1
http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hello folks-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>As a newcomer to the Ten Tec world,
I enjoy the odds and ends
I can pick up on about the company and it's product
history on this reflector.
There seems to be a lot of users of this reflector
that have owned and/or
collect a great variety of Ten Tec gear. I was
browsing the &quot;unofficial Ten
Tec site&quot; at <A
href="http://asd.state.va.us/tentec/";>http://asd.state.va.us/tentec/</A>
and
came across the model 536 Delta II transceiver, which
brings me to my question:
Why did Ten Tec move away from the LCD type freq.
display, when did the Delta II
come out, and was it a &quot;successful&quot;
product?&nbsp; I am curious about
this because I have yet (that I can recall) to work
anyone using a Delta II, and
wonder if those who bought them were happy with them.
I have worked most other
Ten Tec rigs at one time or another, and in every case
that it was discussed,
the owners were very happy with their gear. I'm using
an Omni D, which I suppose
is ancient by modern standards. Nonetheless, it has
turned me on to Ten Tec, and
my next major rig purchase will be another Ten Tec.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Jason
KA7UAM</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

===
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.

"No man is safe while the congress is in session" (Will Rogers)