[TenTec] paragon operating advice

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] paragon operating advice
From: wbcapps@mindspring.com (Bill Capps)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:52:31 -0700
hello all,
        I recently purchased a paragon "585" from a fellow ham. The paragon is
what I consider my first real good rig. I am a new ham, and enjoy CW . My
previous rig was a kenwood ts-140. The 140 served me well, and now has been
retired to the closet.
        I have been able to fiqure out all the functions except for three items.
How do you work the "spot" feature? the manual says, "designed primarily
for use in cw mode, allows the operator to listen to the frequency that he
is transmitting on. Using this function, the transmitter frequency can be
tuned to the incoming received signal by zero-beating with that signal.
This is a momentary function and the transceiver will return to the
previous receive frequency when the key is released. For best results,
select a wide bandwidth filter when using this function. "
        I have tried many different things, to try to make the "spot" function
work, but i don't seem to get any noticeable results.
        Also, whats the purpose of the "rx off" "tx off" functions. These
functions to me seem to mirror the "vfo a"  "vfo b" "split" funtions.
During a dx pile, when everyone is above the dx op, and you set the "vfo a"
to the dx op and set "split" "vfo B" to the frequency you wish to transmit.
then you can listen to the dx op while using the qsk.
        And also, i hate to ask, but I have never really clearly understood,
zero-beating. When i hear a cw cq , I just zoom in on the station with the
vfo and the narrow filters. Is this the best zero-beat technique? It seems
to work for me, but is there a better way?
        Thanks for any advice, I'm haven't any elmers around to instruct me, so
any information is much appreciated.
        Have A Good Day!

Bill Capps
KF4SXG