Re: [RFI] Sinusoidal type noise on 6 meters (wx3k@yahoo.com)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Sinusoidal type noise on 6 meters (wx3k@yahoo.com)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 01:14:10 -0800
On 11/4/2023 8:06 PM, Chris L. Parker wrote:
Dave is exactly correct. I apologize; I misspoke.

We locate the noise first and then determine the source.

I strongly disagree. For as long as I've been a ham (67 years), "power line noise" has been the knee-jerk assumption. For at least 20 years, that has been an increasingly bad assumption. Last I heard, all generated by power lines and power disto equipment is some form of impulse noise, which starts out life as extemely wideband, with radiated strength vs frequency strongly dependent on the antenna that transmits it. This stuff exists, of course, and it may have gotten worse with failures to provide sufficient maintenance over the years.

The most important characteristic of impulse noise is that the highest frequencies decay at the greatest rate with distance from the site, and the exact frequency where we listen doesn't matter, only the part of the frequency spectrum. Another important characteristic is that it's radiated by the power company's lines

BUT -- the dominant form of noise that most of us hear is ELECTRONICALLY GENERATED noise. Switch-mode power supplies have been mandated for energy conservation for at least 20 years; anything sold after around 2000-05 that plugs into the wall has one of these beasts either built-in or as a wall wart/line lump. Power control electronics of all sorts is another common type -- variable-speed motor drives, voltage regulators, DC-DC and DC-AC converters, battery charge regulators, are notorious sources. These electronic sources generate RF spectrum (often unique to the device type or method of power control). The vast majority run on random frequency time base, and produce impulses at harmonic frequencies related to the clock frequency, amplitude modulated by noise. They show up in spectrum as humps of noise at their harmonics, typically 15-30 kHz). A typical home includes several dozen electronic noise sources.

The most important characteristics of electronic noise are that 1) it repeats periodically with frequency, and that the period is related to the clock generating it. With electronic noise, it matters greatly were you listen. 2) It is primarily radiated by wires connected to the source, the vast majority of which are in the homes and businesses that are Customers of the power system.

So the very best first to do is figure out which type of noise we're looking for. As fundamental as "know thine enemy!" With these sources, we must be listening on THEIR frequency(ies). And, because the relative directivity and strength of any source is strongly related to the antenna that radiates it, the efficiency of the radiator can vary strongly with frequency and direction.

FWIW, I have never recommended comparing "noise signatures" as a first step.

So YES, we do go looking following the same principles developed by our great-grandfathers, but in today's world, that generic type of source (electronic or impulse) may cause to use very different tools.