[RFI] ADSL-VDSLet al

To: "rfi" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] ADSL-VDSLet al
From: Henry Pfizenmayer <hp@k7hp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:18:43 -0700
I spent years with telco here in Phoenix fighting carriers every 4 khz  on 160,
S9 on 80 and  40.(no not 4.375 as all the ADSL gurus say - they were  are dead
on 4  khz spacing ) probably because it was an ancient AT&T system that got
passed along to US West then to QWEST then  to CENTURYLINK   .  At that time
that broadband hash up in the 75 M band was being chased by a Centurylink
Engineer in Denver with  W0IVJ . They said they did not see carriers like I was
seeing.

The "good news" is last August 2022 Centurylink announced they were not going
to continue to service wired connections for phone or ADSL anymore and we could
either go to their fiber or tough luck. (heard later they could not do that as
fast as they claimed  I dunno )  To "encourage" the change to fiber  they
"gave" you the " light to wired digits" modem and a separate  router -plus the
install was at no charge-PLUS monthly telephone/internet bill was $10 less.
AND EUREKA no more carriers every 4 khz. (and so far they have not throttled my
internet speed to what I was buying)

Here is the long story of  my efforts -if you care to read it .

The
 story  four years ago on getting one of the carrier sources  solved took 4
months and
the full story is beyond belief - ARRL gave me a number to call at Centurylink
and as a result of that - I actually had a Network Engineer in
Denver make a telephone
 call  with me one morning and he had the ability to turn off houses one at a
time
(around where I had identified the source  )

BINGO
 when he turned one of them off that was it beyond doubt - The local Clink
"tech" who a was allegedly the ADSL/VDSL GURU Teacher - spent 3 days messing
with my pair
 from the DSlam to my house - I kept telling him it was not doing a
thing and kept printing out P3 screen shots showing him nothing was
changing. He got po'ed at me and said this was not his first rodeo - I
admit I told him it was not my first rodeo either
 and the source had been confirmed by Denver to the house down the alley
 . He said I can't work with you and left . Two weeks later out he comes
with another guy who turns out to be a "ham" (who actually was a two
meter repeater guy -and I was amazed how little
 he knew about HF -he simply could not understand the difference between
 "noise" and "carriers" ). After both messed with the pairs to my house
 for about an hour I BEGGED them to walk down the alley with me
listening to a carrier  beat note on my IC R10 and
my tuned ferrite rod antenna . So finally they agreed and lo and behold the
"ham" brought out
one of the MFJ 118 mhz AM noise detectors - we walked the alley and he
kept pointing up and said see its APS not us !!!!!! Again I tried to
explain discrete carriers  versus noise  with
 no sign of any understanding . We got down to the house and I showed
them the loud carrier and how it nulled at the house --- The "Guru"
again got mad and left me with the "Ham" . I asked the "Ham"  if  he would take
 my R10 with just the rubber ducky (dead as hell
 on 160 obviously) instead of my magic antenna box and probe in the rapid
access tap" feeding that house .
 He agreed and went up with the R10 and it almost blew it out of his
hand -he then said yep its us !!!! He got the first guy back down and
they found an open pair-and ran a new "improved"
 pair drop to the house -that got the carriers down to almost
imperceptible .

The
 "ham" told me he was afraid to mess in that tap much because it was so
corroded -there had been water  ingress and that whole tap should be
rewired .

A side note -- the Denver Engineer told me they had poor service complaints
from three other customers at the end of the alley .

But later as time passed  I had at least three new modems 20 to 50 hz apart - I
could null any one
 of them with my NCC2 and sense antenna -but that always left the
other two !!! I just
 did not  have the energy to go thru that crap again - PLUS either the
Denver Engineer has been told to not respond to my emails or telephone
calls - or he has quit (He was the Engineer who worked with W0IVJ on the
 75 meter noise in Denver area. )

When
 ARRL MIke Gruber had come to Phoenix - he only listened to ADSL/VDSL in
areas with buried distribution -and pronounced in his paper that it did
not appear that
 ADSL/VDSL would be a problem . He even said "most telco lines in Phoenix are
underground" Wish , since he was already in town
 with the gear , he did not come to areas with overhead distribution.

So
 hope I showed you what I  dealt with.
Just for your info -- I am a EE , was registered PE / Ohio -- worked in
RF all my career  from low khz
 to 35 ghz powers from zilch to 100 kw AM/SW and 5 megawatt pulsed  radars.

K7HP