Re: [RFI] LED Street lights

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Street lights
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 01:27:26 +0000 (UTC)
 I don't know where you're coming from Jim. How long has it been since you've
been in the 'field' with a portable SW receiver?

Noisy devices, power poles, even lighting poles all have distinctive signatures
heard when standing near them. The CLOSER you get the STRONGER will be whatever
noise/signal the device *may* be generating. Surely this aspect need not be
spelled out?

I still stand with the advice as a first tier investigation to GET NEAR THE
DEVICE and inspect the ham bands for any anomalous noise. This isn't rocket
science. This e-mail was a response to Eric for advice looking at a NEWLY
installed LED lighting pole. Eric, if you have a SW/HF radio in the car that
might be a way to do a first tier/first pass inspection of the new lighting
pole too.

 de AA5CT Jim

---------------------------------

    On Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 7:54:53 PM GMT-5, Jim Brown
<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On 8/23/2023 5:17 PM, AA5CT via RFI wrote:
> Hmmm ... if an exotic receive apparatus is required to 'spot the noise', how
> serious could the noise really be?

Not all noise is broadband. Indeed, most electronic noise is not. And
the receiver cited makes an excellent spectrum analyzer. Most noise is
radiated by wiring, not by the fixtures themselves.

NK7Z's webpage provides lots of excellent troubleshooting advice for
chasing electronic noise.