[RFI] Just Curious

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Just Curious
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 18:02:17 -0400
The List is still working.

Perhaps the lesson is finally beginning to sink in that in order to resolve
an interference problem, one must find the source in order to eliminate it.

If the source is utility owned, the utility is responsible for fixing the
problem. Regrettably, most utilities don't possess the talent or equipment
to do the job. Mike Martin is often their salvation.

If the source is privately owned, then one's direction finding skills,
diplomacy, tact, courtesy and resolve will be needed.

For a long time, I have preached here, in email replies and to local clubs
that ham clubs or individuals who don't belong to a club, should equip
themselves with generic inexpensive (or costly, if it can be afforded)
"tools" to locate sources of interference. Clubs usually have more money
and people so the tools can be available to more people at lower per person
cost.

Direction finding skills are the core competency. A directional antenna for
the frequency being interfered with (or a harmonic of same), a receiver
that can hear the interference, with adjustable sensitivity, (internal or
external attenuation) and relative signal strength indication, operated by
someone with practiced Direction Finding skills will locate the source.
Once the source is known, appropriate remedies can be applied.

I receive emails each month from readers of this list, people in audiences
I have addressed and others who have been referred to me asking for advice
and help resolving interference issues.

Professionally, I remain busy locating all sorts of interference sources
and helping to get them resolved. Interference sources are NOT decreasing
by any means. We import millions upon millions of interference generators
every year. Manufacturers ignore the problem when it's reported so
sufferers must devise their own solutions or find products that are better
designed. Cable TV providers in my area have been keeping me busy for years
now. There is no lack of work!!!

The activity level on this reflector may have dropped because responses to
inquiries are always the same:

*Find the source. Then you will know what needs to be fixed (or replaced). *

Hams have been bunny hunting, fox hunting, direction finding for decades.
There are at least a billion solid DFing solutions hiding in publications
of all sorts. All of this has been said before many times here. It's likely
that casual readers and potential contributors have come to realize that
the same message need only be said a few thousand times.

73,

Frank Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator
Daytona Beach FL