[RFI] UPDATE re: CASE HISTORY - Powerline - Multiple Sources

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] UPDATE re: CASE HISTORY - Powerline - Multiple Sources
From: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 19:31:21 -0600
*FOLLOW-UP TO PREVIOUS POST in September 2021*:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/RFI/2021-09/msg00093.html

The earlier post described multiple *separate* and i*ndependent sources*
along a series of 75-year-old utility poles (7200- and 220-volt lines).  In
other words, these were separately deteriorating components behaving very
badly indeed.

The line of poles is located in the alley behind my residence.

My RFI problems had been usually associated with temperature, moisture, and
strong winds.

*UTILITY AGREED TO REPLACE THE POLES AND HARDWARE*

The power utility agreed the hardware was producing RFI because it was just
too old and required replacement.

In September 2021 the utility said the expected replacement would occur in
early 2022.

*REPLACED TODAY*

Finally, they replaced all the old wires, hardware, transformers, and 4
badly deteriorated poles today.

*ESTABLISHED NOISE FLOOR BASELINE*

Anticipating the upcoming replacement project, I carefully surveyed the
noise floor on each band -- and recorded these baseline numbers. (used
Elecraft P3 scope w/ SVGA)

*REDUCED NOISE FLOOR*

Just replacing the hardware has dropped the noise floor by *10 meters* by *5
dB.*
On *20 meters *the noise floor is now *2 dB *lower.
*40 meters* has too much lightning QRN tonight (from TX) - so I'll
check that during mid-day tomorrow.

*FURTHER BENEFITS EXPECTED*

I expect the big payoff to be: no more sputtering, arcing, and unstable
components causing annoying (and sometimes very persistent) power line RFI.

I now hope to have a more consistent and dependable RFI environment around
me. Before, I never knew when things would just interrupt a contest, etc.

The reduced ambient noise floor is an unexpected bonus.

It only took 1-1/2 years to get this done - but our city-owned Colorado
Springs Utilities did come through in the end.

73,
~ Alan K0AV
Colorado Springs