Re: [RFI] CARRIER ON 40-METERS

To: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CARRIER ON 40-METERS
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 08:02:07 -0500
Hi Ken and Gang,

I went back outside at 7:30am this morning with both my tuned loop and
portable flag and both antennas indicate the same approximate heading I
reported last night which is around 265 and 270 degrees from my location in
Fishers IN (39°59’45”N,86°00’52”W) give or take a little bit.  Much easier
to get a heading with my portable flag than the tuned loop, but the results
are the same.

My biggest problem has always been acquiring an accurate compass heading
using my crude sighting methods.  My above reported heading was acquired
with an Iphone compass set to True North.  When the source is far away any
slight inaccuracies in compass bearing makes a huge difference so we need
more bearings from closer into the source for better accuracy.  Will be
interesting to see what bearing you report.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)