Re: [RFI] Solar inverter RFI experience - Delta versus Sunny Boy

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar inverter RFI experience - Delta versus Sunny Boy
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 03:06:42 -0800
On 11/26/2022 12:30 PM, John Langdon wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Delta string inverters re RFI? Sunny Boy has
good reputation re low RFI - what about Delta?

My neighbor, W6GJB, a serious engineer, has studied solar systems extensively, and holds Sunny Boy in high regard. We both favors strings of multiple LV sources in series, so that the rlesulting magnetic field, which is related to CURRENT, not voltage, is relatively small. It is the FIELD produced by the current that causes RFI.

There's more to it than that, of course. Conductors carrying that current, which is pulse-modulated to control charging, and which MUST be twisted pair, because it is rich in harmonics that would be radiated as RFI.

Glen, W6GJB, has a great view of the sun, so a well-designed solar system could work for him. I'm surrounded by so many tall redwoods that block the sun from any possible solar panel array that such a system is impractical for me.