Re: [RFI] Optical Network Terminal?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Optical Network Terminal?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 02:14:36 -0800
On 11/24/2022 6:27 PM, Charles Plunk wrote:
Any concerns/tips with RFI/birdies to worry about with optical network terminals? From what I can tell they will basically come in with fiber & the ONT and replace my cable modem at same spot.

On the plus side, the optical cable can't carry or radiate trash. On the negative side, it's very likely that local electronics for it will come with a switch-mode PSU, which are notorious noise generators, and the electronics itself may be noisy. I'm on a cable modem, and use WiFi rather than wired Ethernet (which can radiate R). That's plenty fast enough to stream hi-def video and do teleconferencing, which are our (me and XYL) most demanding uses. These uses can be additive if others in your family are doing these things simultaneously.

If you don't need additional speed, I'd apply my rule that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.