Re: [RFI] AM Radio Dropped From Electric Vehicles Due To RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] AM Radio Dropped From Electric Vehicles Due To RFI
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 16:25:36 -0700
I bought a Toyota RAV4 PHEV recently. Today I tried out the AM radio in electric-only mode while driving on the I-210 Freeway through Pasadena, Ca. The reception was surprising good. I could hear some hash in the background, but I had no problem receiving all the various AM stations around town that I would expect to receive with a quality AM receiver in an conventional ICE equipped vehicle. I still need to try it out in hybrid-mode or charging-mode with the ICE engine running to see what if any ignition noise is present, but in electric-vehicle mode, the AM radio works surprisingly well.

73, Mike W4EF.................