Re: [RFI] HVAC - some observations

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] HVAC - some observations
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:51:59 -0700
On 7/25/2022 14:41, James Jordan wrote:
Get out on the Interstate and check
out the number of serious speeders. How many cops would it take to catch
them all? Are we willing to pay enough taxes for that? I don't think so and
the FCC has never had enough resources to run down all reported violations.
The country would never consent to paying for that in any event.

Funny thing...

It was determined years ago in this very forum, if one were to take an instantaneous snapshot off all FCC violations any given second, fine all violations as defined, and required, the FCC alone could pay off the US deficit. Do it again a few moments later, and start funding entire Gov't agencies. Wait a few months, maybe a year, start getting entire nations out of hock with no strings attached. There would be the unfortunate side-affect of violations ceasing quickly, as the rest of the planet would not like an added expense of up to trillions per year, just to produce the same crap as before. Sell an item for a dollar, make 75 cents profit, shell out up to a few grand at a whack, just for existing. This, of course, requires a Kindergarten understanding of the rules, and a middle school Hall Monitor amount of effort.

It's not about funds, perhaps beyond a few thieves and lairs looking for notoriety and easy money from a system revised to fail. The system itself was initially designed to support itself many, many, many times over with not much more effort than that of Meter Maid, violate - fine, violate - fine, violate - fine... Maybe the FCC needs to print up some pamphlets extolling the long forgotten notion of their virtues.

In a few days, everyone will forget, and in a few weeks, maybe even less, the conversation will repeat, as it has for decades, since RFI (or, any other violation) will still be a thing.

Kurt

P.S. I remember ~1993 or '94, when the FCC had multiple spooks staking out a McDonald's because the drive-through had occasional interference. It was hilarious. I couldn't tell if they were strip mall valets, or maybe those religious guys that go door-to-door, by their cute "FED!!!" screaming uniforms. I heard the interference on a scanner, and watched them run around like autistic meth addicts with their heads cut off (now clearly exposing their Cracker Jack prize like little FCC name tags), running around, getting into each others way, as if they suddenly knew the source of a randomly appearing invisible signal of unknown origin, traveling at the speed of light, as if they mattered, and 28 years later, all issues would be resolved by the effort...

P.P.S Then again, maybe I've got it all wrong and the FCC really has it together, is doing something that matters, and in a few weeks, we'll all be amazed, comparable to seeing aliens, or God.