Re: [RFI] LED recessed lighting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED recessed lighting
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 17:21:38 -0700
On 6/22/2022 4:51 PM, Scott Yost via RFI wrote:
DO NOT USE an ordinary capacitor. Use only a properly rated safety capacitor.

Right.

In my case I used a 0.0022 uF X2 275V metal film capacitor.

WRONG! Quoting from my tutorial on killing noise:

Use only type X1, X2, Y1 and Y2 capacitors, which are specifically rated for AC line use and designed to withstand the 3-6 kV spikes that can occur on power wiring. Choose this capacitor carefully – if it fails, it could catch on fire!