Re: [RFI] Power Line Radiated Interference Limits

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power Line Radiated Interference Limits
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 13:24:33 +0000 (UTC)
re: "I have been most successful (without spending high dollar on rfi gear)
retransmitting the noise from my station receiver to a HT"

I did that early on - used a local UHF repeater to relay the audio from
the HF radio ... I've gotten good enough with the marine DF receiver
(which I didn't have back when) that it isn't necessary any more!

The KICKER is, when these 'sources' are found that are 1.74 miles
away, they WILL be quite strong just feet away ... that's a 2nd
good indicator! As you mention, a good number of poles produce
low-level noise that isn't heard a couple hundred feet away nor
at the home station QTH.

On poles I can get within 12 inches of the 'ground'/earth wire, I
make mental note of the signal strength/RF gain control setting
on the marine DF receiver I use  for each pole near the strong
'noise' maker ... correlating this later with which pole makes
'noise' at UHF using a UHF Yagi and my success level on finding
these poles is 100%. Using a bicycle as transport really cuts
down the time walking between poles to do this too, b/c, part
of my learning/training process is to repeat this exerciseover several
different days, just to satisfy MY curiosity and
desire to know I got the right pole.

de AA5CT Jim

    On Monday, June 6, 2022, 9:14:33 PM GMT-5, Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>