Re: [RFI] carried powerline noise on 15m and 20m

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] carried powerline noise on 15m and 20m
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:19:46 -0800
On 2/15/2022 6:43 PM, Ignacy Misztal wrote:
My radio shows about S4 noise on15m when the beam is oriented towards the
nearest power pole.

What else is in that direction? One or more houses? A city? Any towers that hold antennas for 2-way or cell systems?

Especially at higher frequencies like you're hearing, power doesn't travel very far on wiring -- instead, the wire(s) near the source are transmitting antennas. The fact that it's not very loud in your radio suggests that the source is not very close.

There is S3 noise on 10m and almost none on 20m and below.

What's the spectrum of the noise? Does it peak at different spots in the bands, or is it about the same strength anywhere you tune? That could yield a clue as to whether it's power line noise or electronic noise.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

The noise is canceled completely with NB so I assume it must be from
a single source.

Not necessarily -- it WOULD be if noise cancelling could reduce it a lot.