Re: [RFI] Working with Utilities

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Working with Utilities
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:05:36 -0700
A simple setup I've used for chasing impulse noise consists of both a mobile rig and a talkie programmed for AM at around 160 MHz, 200, 300, 500, and the highest frequency at which they work (the Kenwood TH-F6A talkie goes to about 560 MHz). I drive around with the mobile rig and mag-mount vertical set to 160MHz until the signal is loud, then move higher in frequency as I get closer. When I get close enough, I switch to the talkie at it's highest limit, or around 440-450 MHz where my small Yagi is tuned.

Without the Yagi, I'll use a duck on the talkie, holding it against my body to form a half-space antenna.

73, Jim K9YC