Re: [RFI] Anyone tested the Sunpower E-series 435 PV Panels?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Anyone tested the Sunpower E-series 435 PV Panels?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 22:16:52 -0700
On 8/27/2021 6:24 PM, Michael Carter wrote:
The PV modules themselves are not noisy - from
the ad you linked it does not appear that
the pallet of panels is accompanied by an
inverter or micro-inverters.  The PV modules
generate DC - it's the inverter/microinverters
that generate switching noise,

Efficient charge regulators pulse the DC, so its a rectangular wave. And that pulsed DC is FULL of very strong harmonics unless the design is very well suppressed. I know of only one product line that is clean enough to be used near ham antennas, and even then, common mode chokes may be required, depending on proximity and frequencies of interest. In addition, the DC line should ALWAYS be twisted pair, and the twisted pair must be maintained around a series loop of batteries and panels.

The quiet controllers I've found carry the Genasun brand, and they are MPPT types sized for pretty small systems. There may be others, but I haven't needed to research the issue, because my very tall redwoods severely limit the solar illumination.