Re: [RFI] Toyota Prius RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com, cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Toyota Prius RFI?
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 21:04:27 -0400
5-6' behind the Prius tested quiet on HF for me.

My thought was a small trailer to carry the HF antenna.

Haven't tried it yet - Prius is my wife's - my daily driver is an '86 Suburban 6.2 (diesel).

kd4e

Not to answer your precise question about 144/432, but I have a 2015 Prius V
which I've done a lot of HF mobile from. It's not great though not totally
horrible either. I do a good bit of my HF mobile contesting while parked, in
which case with the car off it's OK. I can leave the car on, i.e. with the
electronics running but the gasoline engine not, which keeps the small 12V
battery charged, and there are indeed various birdies, etc. As the hybrid
battery runs down the engine eventually starts up and the noise level increases.
Where it is really bad is with the engine running under a heavy load, i.e.
heavy acceleration or trying to maintain 75 mph going up hills on I-80 in
central Pennsylvania.
The engine is packed tightly enough that adding ferrites, etc., is difficult to
impossible. I likewise have not tried various bonding, etc., but suspect that
would be difficult as well.

73  -  Jim   K8MR