Re: [RFI] TinySA as an RFI research tool

To: Hugo Loranger <ve2_ugo@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] TinySA as an RFI research tool
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 16:06:05 +0000
The Tiny SA is typical of even expensive spectrum analyzers of the past,
even HP.  They came without a built-in preamp and the noise figure was
typically 18 to 22 dB.  They needed a preamp, external.  Even the current
Rigol SA with its internal preamp exhibits roughly a 5 dB noise figure.
One problem with a preamp on the TinySA is intermod which the far more
expensive HP gear did generally not have a problem with.  I've read posts
addressing this problem with the Tiny when connected to a "real" antenna:
intermodulation between the received signals most times becomes a problem.
I have not yet tested my Tiny SA specifically addressing the intermod
issue.

Dave - W0LEV

--
*Dave - WØLEV*