Re: [RFI] I could see the arcs

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] I could see the arcs
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 18:42:45 -0300

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB

From: Mike Smith VE9AA [mailto:ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca]
Sent: April 11, 2021 6:39 PM
To: 'rfi@contesting.com'
Subject: Re: [RFI] I could see the arcs with binoculars last night!

Good for you !

I had a similar situation some 22+_ years ago when I was going to college
and had a small radio setup.  A pole some 40' from my apt bldg in a common
parking lot to several apt bldgs. was giving me fits with 20/9 QRN on all
bands.

I had called the power commission and reported sizzling/arcing/sparking on a
certain pole # and after a couple days still nothing, so when I called back
the next time (maybe a week or two later?). I exaggerated just a little bit
telling them something along the lines of "I think maybe it's gonna catch
fire" and they were there within the hour.  My QRN problem was quickly
resolved.

In reality, you could see purple arcing somewhere around the transformer
arcing to something else.  Been too long now to remember the details, but
unbeknownst to me, a small crowd had gathered in the early evening when I
was inside making my phone call.  Like a little light show for the locals.
No doubt others had called too.

VE9AA