Re: [RFI] Green Wire RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Green Wire RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 19:03:11 -0800
On 11/13/2020 4:48 PM, K9MA wrote:
While I generally agree that the green (ground) wire should go through the CM choke,
here’s an exception: My gas water heater was shutting down whenever I was on
160. It has a grounding cord, but the ground is totally redundant because the tank is
tied into the copper plumbing. (That would not be the case with non-metallic
plumbing.) I made a choke with a two-wire extension cord, and left the green wire
open. No more cold showers.

That's NOT an exception, because 1) is a VERY unsafe, and 2) it is a major violation of virtually all building codes in North America, which require that the Green Wire run WITH the phase and neutral conductors.

Because you have added resistance and inductance to the grounding path, you greatly reduce the likelihood that a breaker or fuse will operate in the case of a fault.