Re: [RFI] RFI Clean Audio Amplifiers For Amateur Use?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Clean Audio Amplifiers For Amateur Use?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 21:48:50 -0700
On 10/5/2020 4:17 PM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
I did not
realize the problem is that the audio amp is the SOURCE of RFI.

So-called "Class D" amps are digital -- they're generating the audio waveform digitally, so they have all the possible mechanisms associated with trains of rectangular waves. That's one kind of amp that can produce RFI.

Several years ago, neighbor W6GJB had a pair of USB-powered speakers that were generating enough RF trash that he could see it with an MFJ current probe on the USB cable. Turned out to be DC-to-DC converters (similar concept as SMPS, so all the same problems) that made the USB power usable for the power amp circuitry. I added that noise source to my "improving contest scores by killing RFI" app note.