Re: [RFI] advice wanted: finding the source of mixing products

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] advice wanted: finding the source of mixing products
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:40:39 -0800
On 2/24/2020 1:03 PM, Matt NQ6N wrote:
Thanks much for the tips, Jim.  Do you know if the wall warts can cause mixing when they are not plugged into the wall or if the circuit breaker is turned off?

They can cause mixing if connected to wires that can function as RX and TX antennas. And when operating, they produce noise which gets radiated and received by your antennas. SMPS are noise generators, which the major reason for a search out and destroy mission.

In my testing the other day I did not see any difference in the 14.786 MHz mixing product when turning off all of the breakers in the breaker box. Does that test eliminate any warts on those circuits as culprits for the specific mixing that remains present at 14.786?

No, power is not required for them to cause mixing -- it's passive device in that regard.

My next test will be to power down the entire house and transmit with the KX2 on battery, connected directly to the antenna, and confirm that the mixing product is still there (eliminating anything in the shack itself).

As noted above, that is NOT a meaningful test.