Re: [RFI] A new RFI source

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] A new RFI source
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:39:03 -0800
Hi Dan,

Traces like this are common to switch mode power supplies (SMPS) that are switched on. They are free-running, and frequency drift is their warmup. If the waterfall is opened up to show greater bandwidth (100-200 kHz), you'll see the trace repeated every 40-80 kHz, depending on the frequency at which the SMPS is operating.

The thing that's different about these data is that one of them is drifting up in frequency -- most that I've seen drift down. This suggests that it might be another power handling controller, like the controller for a variable speed motor or something totally un-related.

73, Jim K9YC