Re: [RFI] Considering a solar panel

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Considering a solar panel
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 12:38:10 -0700
On 8/14/2019 9:57 AM, Gary Smith wrote:
As I'll be buying this sight unseen from
the web, any suggestions of an inexpensive
controller and panel that is known to be
essentially RFI clean & reliable?

YES, and some installation advice. First, panels are not noisy, but charge controllers are notoriously noisy. The only ones I know of that are not are the MPPT controllers made by Genasun. They are only made for relatively small systems like the one you are probably thinking of. They have several models, designed for different panel voltages, charge currents, battery voltages, and battery type. I use them in my home station and for portable operation on FD, CQP, and 7QP county expeditions.

The installation part consists of 1) using only twisted pair for the entire circuit consisting of battery(ies) and panel(s); 2) carrying both conductors through each part of that series circuit, breaking on conductor to add the series element; and 3) if antennas are very close to this wiring, adding a serious common mode choke, following the recommendations in

http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf for #12 THHN or NM wire for the bands where the antennas are very close.

You will also want a good choke on the output of the generator. There's a design for a very good one on page 23 of the Jan 2019 revision of k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf