Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 199, Issue 3

To: rfi@contesting.com, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 199, Issue 3
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 23:45:43 +0000 (UTC)
 > The units are dBuV/m It's field strength.

For radiated emissions.

On conducted measurements, it's just dBuV, a voltage reading referred to 1
microVolt. Usually
measured on one of the output 'ports' of the LISN (Line Impedance Stabilization
Network) by
an EMC receiver/spectrum analyzer.

Note: I only addressed 1) the voltage units and 2) the sign confusion in that

Many EMI/EMC instruments are calibrated in dBuV usually a measurement in a 50
Ohm coax system (CATV apps=75 Ohms)

Easy conversion factors can be used to render that value in dBm (for a
known/given system Z).

Further note: a BW and detector type (eg. PK, QP for quasipeak, AVG, RMS etc)
are usually spec'd for the test measurement.

de Jim WB5WPA