Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 20:58:26 +0000
1)  I've preached wiring and PCB layout is not just DC, but high-frequency
as well - into the VHF and low UHF region.  Transmission line concepts must
be considered.  Consequently, good high-frequency practices must be
followed and employed.  Happy to finally read this reflected by someone
else!

2)  I've used the term "return" instead of "ground" for many decades as RF
energy does not really need "ground".  I point out that the ISS does not
require "ground" to communicate via RF with our ground stations and that
the Crab Nebula does not need "ground" to fill space with copious amounts
of RF energy (as does the Sun as well).  Glad to see the concept of
"return" advocated instead of "ground"!!

3)  "BALUN"  In amateur terms, what is it?  The use of a CM choke totally
explains the concept.  How many switching supplies have I brought into
compliance by simply adding the (eliminated for added cost) CM choke?  Most
of them.  And, yes, ALL wires (conductors) must pass through the choke.
Glad to see this finally proposed.  And.......for amateur purposes, a
transformer in NOT a BALUN!!

Really glad to see these concepts taking traction, even if they are just
limited to our small group, here.

Dave - WØLEV
EMC Design & Test, LLC

--