Re: [RFI] Fwd: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 20:40:55 -0400
Switch mode power supplies and Pulse Width speed controllers can be made that do not radiate noise, but they cost more so those parts are often left out saving maybe 10 to 50 cents on the construction.  With the many millions of wall warts this can add up to millions of dollars in profits.

Like Jim, I say it's best to avoid them.  Last fall we replaced our furnace and central air conditioning. After discussions and the company agreeing to replace the system if it caused RFI (We added that to the contract) THEY suggested using a two speed AC motor instead of the PWM motor. That tells me they know the PWM speed controller creates noise

There are a number of after market switch mode power supplies for ham gear as well as some big amps using SMPS with no problems, but they are designed to be clean

When I worked as a tech, I designed and built some 3 phase, SCR power controllers for resistance heating elements. THAT was a comedy of errors and one of the most difficult projects I ever handled.  That thing developed interference with a vengeance!

73, Roger (K8RI)