[RFI] Update... Re: external noise source identification

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Update... Re: external noise source identification
From: bill K7WXW <K7WXW@qrpdx.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 18:06:19 -0800
First, thanks for the help and suggestions. A number of people thought my laptop might be generating artifacts, so I ran a couple of tests.

On the assumption that the laptop was generating the RFI:

1. Separating the laptop and SDR by a long USB cable that had two 31 clamp on ferrites.
2. Running the captures using a different computer.

Distance made no discernible difference in signal strength. I changed the distance between the laptop from sitting on the SDR to six feet away. Change in computer also made no discernable difference. I am not completely convinced that the SA software isn't creating artifacts but there does appear to be some signal there that it is seeing.

I put a Siglent spectrum analyzer on the feedline. I just got this box and I haven't used an SA for forty years, so I have a bit of a learning curve but I know the basics. There still appear to be groups of frequency spikes separated by 10KHz. They are a good deal easier to see and measure on the SA.  There is also pairs, separated by 69.33Khz, which are actually much stronger. The noise spans roughly 2 to 5 Mhz, and is strongest from 2.8 to 4.2 Mhz.  Net the spikes, the noise floor is roughly -100dBm, as I would expect in my part of the world.

Based on the data I've already collected, I am guessing this source is outside my home. Next step is to figure out how to track it down. I can use the SDR/laptop setup, even though I can't fully trust it.

73 Bill K7WXW