[RFI] thrashing SMPS

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] thrashing SMPS
From: bill K7WXW <k7wxw@qrpdx.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 13:01:52 -0800
I am currently in the second (or third) phase of taming the EMI/RFI that plagues my middle-of-the-city-garden-lot-antenna-surrounded-by-RF-sources station. I learned pretty quickly that fixing it wasn't going to be a matter of simply swapping out every power supply or having a warehouse full of ferrite ready to wrap around every wire I could get my hands on. Don't ask me how I learned.

As others have suggested, I first looked to my radio table, saw how much noise the cheap SMPS connected to USB hubs, etc were generating and got myself a hefty RF quiet linear 14VDC power supply, and set up a DC power distribution system.  While I could have kept some of those supplies, it was easier to have one power supply and a distribution system that managed it all.That cleared a bit of noise away.

The situation in the rest of the house, which is infested with devices that use SMPS, was not so simple.Tossing power supplies or dispensing hunks of ferrite without having any idea whether either is (a) necessary or (b) makes a difference caused my parsimonious heart to ache, so evaluating each and every one of the beasts on its own merits was a must.  When I tried fixing a noisy source, sometimes ferrite worked. Sometimes a SMPS had to be replaced. Sometimes, as with the goofy integrated charger and stand that my dear wife chose for her iPhone, it had to be lived with. Each fix ended with a round of checking the result. When I got through it all, the overall noise level at my receiver had dropped a bit more.

So while I think there's a lot to be said for switching out switchers, I am a big fan of doing so in a thoughtful way, mostly because I am really cheap.

73 de Bill K7WXW