Re: [RFI] When you absolutely positively have to generate 1.5k of QRM

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] When you absolutely positively have to generate 1.5k of QRM
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 21:11:58 -0400
Perfectly legal as far as I can see. It would need approval were it being sold as a complete amp. Even then, I see no problem getting that approval except for possibly gain which could be easily met and the increased price.  Spectral purity?  Probably good, but with dynamic predistortoion and run at half its ratings it most likely would be great.   A couple of those surplus  50 - 60 Amp Power Supplies at less than $50 or $60 ea and that leaves the LP filter, band selection circuitry, and cabinet.

It is not a complete amplifier. It is simply a component and the FCC would see it as that.  The required LP filter would probably cost more than this component. For a nice clean signal I'd want to run a pair of them at half the rated power into a combiner.  A combiner and LP filter to handle 2 KW might run as much as two of these amps. Then you need a capable  PS so in total we are up to around $2,000 to $3,000, give or take. That's still a bargain compared compared to what's available on the market.

73 Roger (K8RI)