Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 11:13:50 -0700
On 3/31/2018 5:22 AM, Cortland Richmond wrote:
Do post the ratings on the "FCC Approved" transformer; there may be less expensive substitutes.

Indeed there are -- they're old-fashioned linear wall warts, find them for a buck at ham flea markets and second hand stores (and I save my own when the gear they power no longer is in use). I use them to replace the switchers that come with new gear. I cut the cables for both old and new warts, put Power Poles on the linear supply and the connector going to the gear, and use one of those handy inline Voltmeter/Ammeters to verify that the wart matches the load.

Search for Watts Up Power Meter. Be careful though -- it reads current in the negative lead, so will give VERY wrong current readings for gear that is part of a system with interconnected equipment.