Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:26:26 -0700
On 3/29/2018 7:16 AM, Chris wrote:
That's what I hear as well...birdies spaced evenly across the band(s).  Not s9
or anything like that, but still real annoying!!  I guess that is the price we
pay for modern technology.

How is that dish getting its power?  If via the Ethernet cable, my money would be on that as the source of these birdies. The wall wart that powers it is probably a switch-mode supply, and the Ethernet cable is its transmitting antenna.

These are NOT Ethernet birdies -- they are stable, modulated carriers around 14,030 kHz, 21,052 kHz the low end of 10M and 6M. There are two that show up on 30M. There are probably others, but because I'm a CW op, these are the ones I run into. If you have neighbors, you'll hear their birdies too, slightly displaced in frequency from your own, because each router has its own crystal. The Ethernet cable is the transmitting antenna, and electronics at both ends of the cable are the transmitters, so both ends need a serious ferrite choke.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf ; which addresses how to identify noise sources by type, track them down, and suppress them. Also, NK7Z's website has lots of very useful info, including spectrum plots of various noise sources. He also shows an excellent method for tracking them using a spectrum display running 24 hours!