Re: [RFI] Daisy chain vs Common Ground in Shack

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Daisy chain vs Common Ground in Shack
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 08:28:03 -0500
Thought I'd chime in here - my ears were burning

Jim and I see eye-to-eye on equipment bonding. Among other things, he recommends a direct connection between all equipment enclosures with a heavy bonding conductor (wire or strap) - this works. It requires a lot of equipment-to-equipment connections but if you're willing to do that, it will work fine. There must be a ground conductor from the enclosures to the ac safety and lightning protection ground system. Jim makes things a lot easier by using Powerpole connectors in each conductor (he uses green insulated wire and green Powerpoles so the purpose is clear) to ease connection/disconnection. It also helps a lot if you can easily get to the back of the equipment.

My recommendation is close - use a heavy RF bonding bus (pipe, strap, bus bar, etc) immediately in back of the equipment with short, heavy jumpers to each enclosure. If you can't easily get to the back of the equipment, this method is somewhat easier to work with. The end result is pretty much the same with a little bit longer connection between each piece of equipment. There are photos of each method in the book and some on the book's website at www.arrl.org/grounding-and-bonding-for-the-amateur.

K8RI also brings up a good suggestion - if you want to use the braid from old coax, fine, just don't remove it from the old coax :-) Leave it in the jacket and treat it as a really large-diameter wire. That would certainly work. It's not cheaper than a spool of good old #12 or wire stripped from scraps of Romex, but if it's on-hand and you want to use it, fine. Just don't put it where water can get to it - just like for RF connections. I'd peel back about 3/4" of jacket, trim off the center conductor and insulator, twist the braid into a pigtail and solder it (not crimp) into a crimp terminal. Maybe dab on some sealant to keep water out of the end. But that seems like a lot of trouble compared to using heavy wire. There is nothing magic about braid - it's just trying to be a flexible equivalent to wire and because it's on coax we tend to attribute special RF properties to it. Whatever...

The goal of bonding, however it's done, is to eliminate any voltage that exists between pieces of equipment (primarily caused by ac power currents and harmonics, lightning-driven transients, and common-mode RF) with sturdy connections between them. This is compatible with all of the ARRL's recommendations on grounding, as well, so it's more of a clarification than a change in recommendation. The book goes on to illustrate additional techniques for managing RF in the shack, power distribution, establishing lightning protection, etc but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

73, Ward N0AX