[RFI] 4 khz comb from Centurylink ADSL-2

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] 4 khz comb from Centurylink ADSL-2
From: HankP <pfizenmayer@q.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 15:06:00 -0500 (EST)
I ahve seen nothing on this reflector about carriers every 4 khz from
Centurylink ADSL2 systems . (or any other system) Here is my short version of
about 75 days with Clink. A year ago Clink finally reduced the carriers on 160
from almost S9 (-73 dBm) out of noise to about my noise level (-100--105dBm)
.Took an Engineer from Clink in Denver turning off customers from Denver while
I watched the comb to absolutely identify the customer modem source.Then it
took over a month for him to even find someone in Phoenix to address the issue.
Clink tech did everything under the sun except address that customer - then two
weeks later they sent out same tech along with another tech who was a Ham and
had some idea of what a RF Carrier was. Again they addressed evertthing from
the DSLAM to my house with no effect (EVEN though they knew the customer who
had been identified by Denver) . FInally I got them to walk the alley with me
and my 160 portable DF rx. The Ham pulled out a MFJ VHF noise
  receiver and we walked the alley They contended the problem was APS .. Nope
,its carriers guys , not noise.( I had P3 spectrum plots showing the carriers
every 4 khz - did not mean anything to them- and after every change I woudl go
back and run and print another plot ) I showed them (they could listen to the
speaker on my Rx.) how loud the carriers got 100 feet or so either side of that
identified customer. The original tech left and the Ham stayed with me . I took
the ferrite rod/jfet source follower DFing assy I have off the R10 rx and just
put the little rubber ducky whip on it and asked him to go probe in his access
taps and see how loud the carriers were there . He did so and admitted .Yep its
in our system. The original tech came back and they identified numerous
problems - among which was an open pair to that customer which was forcing that
modem to run wide open (100 mw per carrier) . Interesting that the Clink
Engineer told me tey had 3 other customers within abou
 t 400 feet who either had no VDSL or drastically reduced internet speeds.
Anyhow they found a tap that had leaked and said everything was so corroded
they were reluctant to do any work there and a crew would have to come ot and
re do the whole thing . They did replace the customer drop with a new "improved
bonded and shielded pair " and were able to find a pair to replace the open.
This got the carriers to just at my noise level - and they said since te
customer was not at home - they would have to contact him to check it (I doubt
they ever did as the carriers never changed - and virtually every half hour
their supervisor was calling asking why it was taking so long , this was
costing Clink money- and they could not afford to be worrying about this stuff
!!!!! ) Well about a year passed - here come a bunch of trucks and they ran a
second cable - then about a month later a guy comes and puts new access taps on
the new cable , and a week or so later they moved some customers t
 o the new taps -BUT left the old wires just hnaging - in fcat the hoiuse
behind me they just took the junction box off the wall , threw it over the
fence into alley with wires to the old cable still in place !!!! iIts still
hanging there ) Other places they just cut off the cable and left it hanging
down in the breeze. SOOOOO now I have carriers on 40 meters 7 to 15 dB out of
my noise -100--105 dBM on 40) , on 160 5 to 7 dB out of my noise and about at
noise on 80 . I actually see two carriers on 40 about 44 hz apart probably
fromtwo different modems. 40M RX ant is M2 40M1L at 50 feet -- I can null the
carriers down to noise off end (perpendicular to phone cable) I have talked to
W0IVJ , I have talked with Mike Gruber of ARRL and both say they have not seen
these carriers and I am the only one reporting them !!!!!!!!! Curious - anyone
else seeing this stuff ?? Or am i just Lucky Pierre ? Hank K7HP