[RFI] Solar RFI Update

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Solar RFI Update
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 17:37:28 -0400
All:

Just a quick update...

I contacted Solar City, the company who installed the Solar Edge solar panels at my neighbors home. I explained how the RFI began on the day the solar panels were installed. The company representatives response was that they've NEVER had an RFI complaint before.

She then read a prepared statement written by a supervisor which essentially said that Solar Edge products installed by Solar City meet all FCC requirements. To that, I explained that an improper installation without RFI suppression will still generate RFI when using FCC approved components.

She then said that they haven't turned the service on yet so how can the system cause RFI? I explained that the solar panels which are operational, provide power to components (optimizers) which are known to generate RFI so the service not being turned on has nothing to do with it. The fact that the system generates RFI during the day and goes away at night confirms this.

That seemed to get their attention and they have been very cooperative since. They then asked for information explaining what band of frequencies are affected by the RFI which in my case, range from 10 MHz to VHF.

Thanks to the research and problem solving by the folks on this reflector, I was also able to provide them with reference material that shows how to solve RFI issues with the very same Solar Edge products that Solar City installed at my neighbors house - it doesn't get better than that!

The folks that wrote the RFI material have also offered their personal assistance by allowing me to send their contact information to the installer.

I've also had the same generous offers from a person on the reflector who manages a solar panel installation company so thank you all for your help - it's very much appreciated.

I will post updates as the situation progresses.

Tony -K2MO